Friday, April 2, 2010

Dead Weather: You Just Can't Win

I finally saw these guys play at the Tivoli Theatre in Brisbane last Tuesday. I was so pumped to catch this gig. The set was short (maybe 9 or 10 songs), the stage was minimal, and all four musicians were dressed in black. Basically that means there was nothing to distract you from the music, clearly the strong point of any band with Jack White as its director.


I was lucky to be within a few metres of the stage at one point when Jack took the mic for himself. Close up, in the flesh, I was in awe of this man. The bass guitarist is kinda cool when he's jivin' about, but you just can't divert your eyes from Jackie White (as he introduced himself). When he's drumming, when he's strumming, when he's throwing down vocals, you're completely transfixed. Here's a guy who's completely devoted to music and not the bullshit that comes with it. I know he brawls with other rockers occasionally, but whatever. It's probably still related to music. The point I'm making is that the Dead Weather really needs nobody else. Alison Mosshart is great, but I was still looking over her shoulder at Jack on drums.

Just take a look at the clip below of their performance at Austin City Limits. The song is a cover of You Just Can't Win, originally written and performed by Van Morrison during his time with Them. At the Tivoli, Dead Weather played this cover third or fourth song in and at that point, I knew I'd got more than my money's worth. We know he has a solo album coming out and it'll be interesting to see what, if any, covers he includes on that album or in his future live performances.

No comments: